Professor at CCP Publishes Book “Permanent For Now”

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Making me human again by connecting me with another human” which is possibly a reason why Jeffrey Markovitz chose to teach. The professor at the Community College of Philadelphia published his second novel “Permanent for Now”, a project ten years in the making. Markovitz has done extensive research to the creation of his story, including a trip to Europe to learn more about what would be in his creation and he was able to reveal a significant amount of it at his release event at A Novel Idea bookstore in south Philadelphia.

“’Permanent for Now’, I like the fact that its an oxymoron,” Markovitz said. “In the Holocaust, the Nazis actually referred to the prisoners that they didn’t immediately execute as ‘permanents’”. With this fact, Markovitz took the idea of the “permanent” Jews and used it as a paradox, almost as a way of hope for the main character, a Holocaust survivor. “I think of that title as a theme in the book, the notion of what we think of as permanent something that doesn’t last.”

Along with that concept, Markovitz also explains that he was “scared that the Nazis weren’t monsters, they were human beings and I was afraid that that same energy was in me as a human” and that any other circumstance could lead him down the path of the German Swastika. The question Markovitz wants readers to ask themselves during the read is “what makes you different from someone who does evil?”

With all the mentions of the Holocaust, Jews, and Nazis, it could be assumed that “Permanent for Now” is a Holocaust novel, but Markovitz rejects that premise. In fact, the professor claims to have “no interest in writing a Holocaust novel” as he stated in another article in the Chestnut Hill Local. “I didn’t want to call it a Holocaust novel because I didn’t want to write about the Holocaust at all”, Markovitz said while adding that he took a graduate course on Holocaust literature. “One of the texts we read was called ‘Using and Abusing the Holocaust’ where artists misuse the Holocaust to get to their literary thesis.” Markovitz was totally against that and therefore called the genre “literary fiction”.

Of course, people will see “Permanent for Now” as a Holocaust novel, because it takes place there. Those are for those who would not look so deep into it, unlike the literary scholar and author of the book. Markovitz himself said that the book is best read under the critical race literary theory, appropriately since the book is about a Holocaust survivor. With constant revisions and a decade long process of diligent work, Markovitz is ready for his book to be sold.