Stoop Talk with Queen Yaszy

African American Heritage Celebration at CCP

On Wednesday, February 21st, the weather in Philadelphia was awesome. With numerous tasks on hand, I was unaware of the events to come this day on CCP’s campus. Walking out of my first class, I heard a mixture of ecstatic voices attempting to talk over the music that I could not avoid bobbing my head to. Walking towards the Student Life Center there were signs announcing the celebration of African AMerican Heritage Day. There were tables with information, free fruit-infused water, and the DJ (need name). Many students of different age groups joined in the courtyard for dancing, open- mic, and joyously enjoyed the moment. Ms. Jenavia Walker and Queen Yaszy teamed up and did an awesome dance routine, neither of them missing a beat. Queen Yaszy herself was also in attendance for the purpose of being the demonstrator for the headwraps, which included lessons with various styles.

During African American heritage month every Wednesday BSU hosts head wrapping demonstrations. Afterwards, the ladies on campus would write on a sticky note about why or how the headwrap is important to them. The cultural significance of headwraps come from the Sub-Sahara of Africa. Headwrap colors would represents certain marital status, rankings status, or the vibrations a woman may feel the need to send into the world. Head wrapping such as muslims and their hijabs is a part of their religion.

The Black Student Union of Community College of Philadelphia, hosted two social media campaigns, to flood a new narrative for melanated ladies and gentlemen. The social media campaign for the melanated women was #blackgirlswrapwednesday, originated by a powerful 17 year old Queen from Pete, Florida Jelani Mosozi. In 2016 Jelani was told by school officials that her headwrap was in violation of the school code. She was forced to remove her headwrap by a Florida police officer. Highs school students from that point fought to wear their headwraps, as it represents their identity. Thus, at CCP, the ladies on the Executive Board of BSU and Women  Student Leadership began the phenomena at CCP by wearing headwraps every Wednesday since 2016.