CCP: The DACA Report

Karina Rivera, Contributing Writer

As the Trump administration is bringing the DACA program to an end (as it was only meant to be a temporary program implemented by former President Obama), hundreds of thousands of dreamers are wondering what happens next. Many students here at our very own college are from various different countries across the world and depend on DACA. On February 23, a panel of three women gave information to a room overflowing with students and professors alike eager to learn about how CCP will take action. Today, readers will learn where dreamers at our school can turn to receive help in this time of need and how you too can take action.

DACA is the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. It is a program that was established in June 2012 to temporarily help some children who came to the U.S as minors, and had either entered or remained in the country illegally (typically through the choice of their parents and no fault of their own). To be eligible, recipients must have entered the United States before their 16th birthday and prior to June 2007. They must also be currently in school, a high school graduate, have a GED or be honorably discharged from the military. Also, they must be under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012, and not convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor or three other misdemeanors, or otherwise pose a threat to national security. The purpose of DACA was to protect children from being deported and allowed them to work legally. In the five years in its existence, it has changed the lives of many immigrants by giving them a peace of mind and safety in the county that they love and a country that has been a home to them, for many years and in many cases their whole life. Now DACA is being reevaluated and this changes everything.

For many dreamers across the country, and in this college, this is a difficult time, to say the least. They don’t know where to turn and what to do next. Because of this, the following information was discussed at our college’s meeting. Here is a recap for those who were unable to make it to the “Defend DACA meeting.”

The first resource strongly encouraged for all students to use is Single Stop. This is the “one stop destination” for help with just about anything. They help students with a variety of things from filing taxes, to helping with get free health insurance and now they are here to help with government benefits for immigrants, assistance with immigration law inquiries, status adjustment and naturalization citizenship process . These services are free and available the third Wednesday of every month from 2-5 pm. You can find these services and many more located on, Main Campus Mint Building, Room M1-21.

Other forms of help for dreamers are : PICC (Pennsylvania Immigration and Citizenship Coalition) 215-832-0636 this organization helps with a variety of things like; enforcement resistance, education justice, access to driver’s license, worker rights and employment. 

HIAS 215-832-0900 helps with; citizenship assistance , immigration legal services, refugee resettlement, education and advocacy and  immigration law training.  And finally, another great organization here to help is Juntos 215-218-9079. They help with DACA , “know your rights” cards , college access and scholarships. 

In conclusion, I would like to say that education is a privilege that should be available to everyone no matter their legal status. At CCP, the school is committed to helping those who desire an education.  There is overwhelming compassion for how hard our students work – whether it is with they’re classes, jobs, with children, sports or various other activities. Resources such as counselors, professors and programs like Single Stop are available to help in your time of need and here to help you achieve your dreams.

Editor’s note: At the time of this publication, DACA reform has stalled in Congress. The most recent proposal by the Trump administration includes “a 10- to 12-year path to citizenship for not just the roughly 700,000 enrolled in the expiring DACA program but for other “DACA-eligible illegal immigrants” who are in the U.S. illegally and were brought to the country as children. The White House estimates that could cover up to 1.8 million people.”