How to Decrease Stress Before Finals

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to Decrease Stress Before Finals

Karina Rivera

As finals are quickly approaching, stress levels for many, are at an all time high. Here at The Community College of Philadelphia, there are students that have massive responsibilities, such as children and bills, among many other things to worry about. Therefore, we want to make sure finals is one less thing to panic over. Hopefully, these tips and tricks will be helpful, good luck to you all! And congratulations for making it this far in the semester!

Breathe. Try a breathing exercise; you can search for one online, and find one best for you or you can try this very simple one: breathe in for five seconds, hold your breath for five seconds and breathe out. Hopefully, this is effective! Take a minute for yourself and relax. Take note, that you made it through placement exams,midterms, and difficult homework assignments. Also,you will make it through this finals period.   

First, change your perspective. To further explain what this means, change your way of viewing things and view things from a joyous perspective at all times. Don’t be hard on yourself, because you are nervous for finals; instead pat yourself on the back, for choosing to be here while chasing your dreams and, taking the first step into making them a reality. As a college student, it is important to recognize that, you have made it rather far in this academic obstacle. Upon making it to finals week, and the end of the semester,you have overcome many difficulties. Don’t focus on any negative aspects– be calm and believe in yourself.

Another trick to consider is, writing down your emotions. Get a journal and ease your mind. However, it does not have to be a hardback journal, it can be the notepad in your phone or even a piece of paper. Yet, allowing your thoughts to escape the barriers of your mind is helpful. Let your worries flow from your mind, and on to your paper to vent. If there are any worries that you may not feel comfortable sharing with others, then this should help.

Take action! Sometimes these exercises may not be effective, because you are up all night worrying about what has to be done. So, take initiative! Make an appointment with your professors and ask if you could have a bit of clarification as to what to expect in the final, therefore, you could feel at ease. Also, consider making a study group with your classmates. When you surround yourself  with people who understand the assignment well and know tips to getting the work done,you’ll learn even more before the test and you will be more confident when walking into the classroom. Also, you could make friends while learning in a fun new way!  

Finally, here is a reminder: that you are, indeed amazing and special. You are awesome and we are so happy that you chose to be apart of the CCP family. You are capable of doing anything that you set your mind to,and if you made it this far, then you can make it through