Plans to Expand West Regional Campus Underway

Devonte Gillespie, Business Manager

The only constant in this world is change, one can adapt and persevere or one can stay the same and merely fade away. Like the lure of the new apartment complexes that is located next to CCP in part to attract international students to attend CCP. In the week of March 28th, CCP again continued to expand and change with the purchase of a new property in West Philadelphia. CCP acquired a .63 arced piece of land from a West Philadelphia Businessman and Owner Daniel Veloric in an effort to improve and expand the college West Philadelphia campus and Automotive Technology Program.

Currently, CCP offer an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Automotive Technology with 120 students in the program. In the current program students learns important information about technology within the automotive field and gain skills that can be applied to multiple careers industries.

With the new expansion piece, the college is able to add to its already booming program a new opportunity for double the amount of students currently in the program. The new building will provide new space that will add training to the program such as training for diesel cars, trucks, and other alternative fuel vehicles like natural gas that take up some of the auto industry.

The move is soo important for the area of West Philadelphia because according to United States Census, the unemployment rate in 2015 was 11.6% for the area around the West Philadelphia campus for CCP. With market research finding that the growth programs where people can get the training is scarce in the area. Therefore, one of the goals for the transaction is to not only improve the Philadelphia area as a whole, but especially the West Philadelphia which is dubbed the Promise Zone because of the potential for the surrounding businesses in the area. Also, this project allows students to take advantage with the nearby projects that are in Philly right now. Some examples would be the uCitySquare and the Schuykill Yards developments that are located near the University of Penn campus.

Dr. Generals commented on the move at the note signing stating, “We [the CCP family] are extremely pleased about this acquisition, …. Our students are in high-demand across the region with many getting jobs long before they graduate, …..This expansion is especially noteworthy because it will occur within the West Philadelphia Promise Zone and offer a fast-track to employment.”

Construction of the building, $15 to $18 million project is scheduled to start in early of 2018 with financing taking place currently. As the CCP continues to evolve with the changing aspects of the marketplace in the US it is clear with the move that the college is take the right steps in improving the its program.