CCP’s Phi Theta Kappa Ceremony Inducts the School’s Highest Academic Achievers

CCP is proud to celebrate the achievements of its students. The affirmation of inviting students, who have went above and beyond in their academic careers, to join an international honor society is one of them. On Tuesday Nov. 17th of this year, a ceremony was held to induct the newest members of the honor society Phi Theta Kappa’s Rho Upsilon Chapter (at which I myself was also inducted). Students, their families, faculty, and celebrated members of the Phi Theta Kappa gathered to celebrate the students and their achievements. “The nights spent studying while others were out, putting priorities ahead of desires, tonight is the culmination of all the hard work paying off,” says Vice President of Phi Theta Kappa’s Rho Upsilon chapter Chris Tremoglie, to the newest inductees.

Phi Theta Kappa is an international honor society, the purpose of which is to recognize and encourage students of two-year colleges who have gone above and beyond in their academic achievements. Being apart of this organization also provides its members with opportunities for personal growth, leadership skills, access to the organizations scholarships, and getting involved with community service.

This honor society was first established in 1918 by two-year college presidents in Missouri, then in 1923 it was recognized by the American Association of Community Colleges as the official honor society for two-year colleges. Now with more than 1.3 million members, Phi Theta Kappa is the largest honor society in American higher education, with 1,100 chapters in all 50 states, U.S. territories, Canada, Germany, and Japan.

The chapter at CCP’s main campus is the Rho Upsilon chapter, and the advisors are Dr. Sarah Iepson and Jenavia Weaver, who were both at the induction ceremony, as well. They were very welcoming and excited about the new members of their chapter. Their excitement was infectious and set the tone for the evening, also there were the Rho Upsilon Chapter Officers.

The night was filled with excitement and joy for all the students in attendance. It was a night of celebration for all of the hard work and dedication towards making the best of our time here at CCP.

President Earl Weeks has this to say about the benefits and opportunities of being apart of the organization: “Once an invitee joins Phi Theta Kappa, they are eligible to receive over 90 million dollars of scholarship money only available to Phi Theta Kappa members! Phi Theta Kappa is the perfect place to learn how to be a leader, how to be involved in community service, and the most important skills that future employers look for. Phi Theta Kappa’s annual convention Nerd Nation boasts over 4,000 nerds in one place, along with well known professors, explorers, and music artist, teach and perform live for all of the conventioneers to see! If you’ve received an invite from Phi Theta Kappa, please visit the Rho Upsilon Chapter office in S1-19a in the Student Life building at the main campus, you can also call (215)751-8100.”

To be invited to join Phi Theta Kappa you need to receive an invitation which is sent to those who have fulfilled certain academic requirements. So your fellow members will be those just as committed to doing their best in their academic careers as you are. Chris Tremoglie says that “Phi Theta Kappa is such a great organization. It brings people of great academic achievement together.” So if you are interested in joining Phi Theta Kappa be sure to contact or visit the Rho Upsilon chapter at CCP’s main campus to see what you have to do to receive an invitation.

Take advantage of all of the opportunities possible here at CCP and you’ll go very far!