CCP Students Win Leadership Award

Devonte, Gillespie

The Comcast Foundation, which specializes in advancing community growth through many fashions and outlets, continued to operate within the values that the foundation stands on. Youth education is one of the key issues that is continued to be tackled by the Comcast Foundation. With a partnership with City Year, creating its own program for youth in the form of the Comcast Leadership and Achievers Scholarship program and participating in the Big Brothers Big Sisters of America program, Comcast has put in place a passion for the improvements of youth success. On February 2, 2017, the foundation honored two local students, Fakira Awawdeh and Widchard Faustin. Fakira and Widchard, who attend Community College of Philadelphia and Drexel University respectfully, were awarded the Gustave G Amsterdam Leadership Award and given a $5,000 scholarship at the 2017 Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce Annual Luncheon, located in the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.

As part of the Comcast Corporation board, Amsterdam was a leader in community development and continues to fight and motivate people to invest into education. The award in Amsterdam’s name is only awarded to youth that embody the morals and values that Amsterdam believed in. Both honorees are part of the Leaders and Achievers scholarship program which emphasizes leadership in the community they occupy and cementing a future with bright young role models.

Awawdeh overcame a great deal of obstacles on her road to success. As more and more setbacks piled up in Awawdeh life she still persevered and grew as a person and set education as first priority in her life. As a child living in Palestine, Awawdeh went through rough times, but, since coming to the states, she graduated from Kensington Health Sciences Academy as class salutatorian and is the first female to do so in her family. Now studying at CCP, Awawdeh is on the career path of nursing and has a goal of helping the elderly after graduation.

Faustin attends Drexel University with hopes to become an engineer one day and majoring in computer science. Attaining a perfect 4.0 GPA at Central High School, Widchard was active on campus as he served as the vice president to the Game Central, which provided a safe place for student to become themselves and be more outgoing. Now in college Faustin has maintained academic success in earning a 4.0 for his first semester at Drexel.

At the luncheon, Awawdeh and Widchard were joined by the Comcast Foundation and Major of Philadelphia Jim Kenney as Comcast’s Senior Vice-President and Chief Diversity Officer David L. Cohen presented each with the award. During the event Cohen would praise the two and gave his thoughts on the continuous efforts of the work Awawdeh and Widchard achieved. Cohen is quoted in stating, “Fakira and Widchard are two shining examples of the promise of this city as we look to the future and the contributions of the next generation,” said Cohen. “I know Gus would be proud of their dedication and commitment to furthering themselves while helping others.”

Given the body of hard work these two honorees have already displayed throughout their young lives, it is in no doubt that these two scholars embodied what the Gustave Amsterdam Leadership award represented and are on the path of being one of the many great leaders for the next generation.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “CCP Students Win Leadership Award”

1. Robeart on April 6th, 2017 6:26 am

Hello Admin,

Catharine Wilder Guiles Scholarship is available for the students who are matriculated into their second year of the MS in Nursing program, Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner concentration or the MSW program.

The application deadline is April 30, 2017.

For more information you can go through –
    http://usascholarships.com/catharine-wilder-guiles-scholacccrship/

If you want to read articles related to scholarships like, how to apply for scholarship, how to get scholarship, Scholarship thank you letter etc. Then go through the given link:
    http://usascholarships.com/category/article/

[Reply]

The Vanguard Reply:

Thank you very much for the great information of the scholarship!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

CCP Students Win Leadership Award