Art Exhibitions to visit this March

Ashley Bald, Associate Editor

Philadelphia is one of the best cities to be able to explore and experience the arts up close and personal. There is absolutely no shortage of art exhibitions, gallery openings and musical performances here in the city, and there are certainly some note-worthy stops to make this March 2017. If you are looking to explore the arts this spring take a look into these up coming events that may very well be worth the trip.

“American Watercolor in the Age of Homer and Sargent” is an art exhibit that will be on display in the Philadelphia Museum of Art from March 1st through the 14th. This collection displays artwork from famous artists’ Winslow Homer and John Singer Sargent and how they helped to make watercolor one of the most widely implemented mediums in the United States. The American Watercolor Movement stemmed from the creation of the American Watercolor Society in 1866. The legacy of these artists can here be observed for the appreciation and popularity of this medium in modern art today.

Meanwhile at the Institute of Contemporary Art, you will be able to view “The Freedom Principle: Experiments in Art and Music, 1965 to Now at the Institute of Contemporary Art” until March 19th. This limited time exhibition takes a look at how jazz and experimental music have influenced art and culture in America today. Black History Month may be coming to an end, but this exhibitions’ main focus is on African American culture. What makes this exhibition unique is the fact that there will also be a late scale music and dance performance in addition to the artwork on display.

Another very worth while event is the “Jitish Kallat: Covering Letter at the Philadelphia Museum of Art”. This exhibition work shows a historical letter by Mahatma Gandhi to Adolf Hitler that was created right before World War II. The significance of this letter is that fact that is was sent from one of the most peaceful people to one of the most violent. We can still see evidence of extreme violence like this in our world today. This installment and video project brings this letter back to life, and shows it’s viewers an issue that still has relevance in America.

If you are seeking to find artwork in celebration of Women’s History Month be sure to check out the “Women in Animation Film Festival” hosted by Moore College of Art & Design. This four day festival celebrates and exhibits animations and short films create by women, meet and greet artist sessions, and a panel of women game designers. This exhibition begins March 23rd and shows through March 26 in Stewart Auditorium on the College’s campus at 20th Street and The Parkway.  Admission to this event is completely free and the schedule is as follows:

• THURSDAY, MARCH 23: 6:30 PM: “GAME CHANGERS: WOMEN MAKING GAMES”
  • FRIDAY, MARCH 24: 7:00 PM: “WINDOW HORSES” Film
  • SATURDAY, MARCH 25: 1:00 PM: “EMILY HUBLEY SCREENS WORKS BY FAITH HUBLEY & SHORTS PROGRAM: “ALL OUR LIVES COMBINED” Animation
  • Saturday, March 25: 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm: “ADOBE CREATIVE JAM TOURNAMENT & PRESENTATIONS”
  • SATURDAY, MARCH 25: 8:30 PM: “JESSICA CIOCCI’S ANIMATION MIX TAPE & SHORTS PROGRAM: “WHAT KEEPS US UP AT NIGHT?” Animation
  • SUNDAY, MARCH 26: 2:00 PM: “INUYASHA THE MOVIE: AFFECTIONS TOUCHING ACROSS TIME & SHORTS PROGRAM: “THE HEART THAT SMILES” Anime Film
  • SUNDAY, MARCH 26: 7:00 PM: “ROCKS IN MY POCKETS” Film

There are many more art exhibitions and events happening throughout the spring in Philadelphia and surrounding areas.